Friday, July 25, 2008

Julie's iPod

Rebellion (lies)- The Arcade Fire
Billy Liar- The Decemberists
Lars & Margo- David Torn
Till The Sun Turns Black- Ray LaMontagne
Come Pick Me Up- Ryan Adams
Young Pilgrams- The Shins
Saeglopur- Sigur Ros
Pittsville- Sufjan Stevens
The Heart of Life- John Mayer

John Mayer? What? If I were playing "One of these things is not like the other" he'd probably be the odd man out on this list. For the most part, what I listen to isn't on the radio, no one has ever heard of them, and some of their names are a tad challenging to pronounce. I generally shy away from "mainstream" music; my taste is not a conscious effort to be different, it just happens to be what moves me. So how did John Mayer end up there?

About five-ish years ago, while driving around the Garden State (New Jersey), feeling particularly frustrated with my overly sexualized, inappropriate, insane, and insanely demanding boss, I was rummaging around my car for a tissue when I came across an abandoned CD in the glove compartment, left in there by the nanny before me. I rolled my eyes as I looked at the title scrawled in the cutsy handwriting I'd always wished I'd had was "John Mayer Mix," with a smiley face and a heart. But for lack of any better music, I popped it in and thus began my musical love affair with John Mayer.

Somehow, lyrics I would have deemed to cheesy to bother with before made sense to me, melodies comforted me, and seemed to cradle every emotion I seemed to carry. Homesick, lovesick, ecstatic, indifferent, he seemed to be able to nail those feelings exactly. During a particularly rough patch while living in Jersey, I would often lose myself driving on the Jersey Turnpike, shedding a few tears and singing with John. I loved it, I loved him. He understood my every plight. Ultimately, I decided "Yeah, the man has talent." He became my ultimate guilty pleasure.

Just this last week, he played at Usana, and Katie bought me a ticket for my birthday (Bonus! I got to see Steve Lamb, too!). Love, love, loved it. The man did not disappoint. And while John Mayer may not have the "clout" of that of a more underground or indie artist, he will forever remain on the playlists of my iPod.

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

Love that man, too! I wish I was here to go, although I'm glad I was in Ecuador. Anyways, he's on my playlist too and maybe we can catch him in concert another time together!

Lindsey said...

heck yeah i'm back! I'd love to play! Hana & my sis Jessica & I might go see the Dark Knight tomorrow if you are down. We also might have a few swimming days at my sister's hotel, or dinner or whatever. Just let me know when you're available!

kim and ned said...

I'm with you Jules, indie music is the way to go. I loved looking down your ipod list and to be able to think "I like them...wait, Julie listens to them." However, I'm not a fan of John Mayer, but I do allow myself one somewhat popular artist, Ben Folds.

Julie said...

Linds- at the risk of sound tedious and annoying....Call me or text me before whatever you guys decided to do. I'm in the middle of finals, and I am trying to be a little over ambitious and finish ASAP, so I have no idea what my week will ACTUALLY end up like.

Kim- So glad we can both appreciate the unknown. I want to hear some of Ned's stuff! You should put some on your blog or something.

kim and ned said...

Go to the link on our blog that says "Birds Without" under Ned's music. It will take you to his myspace page. I tried to put somefo Ned's music on our blog, but couldn't figure out how.
I would love to find out more music that you like and see if you can introduce us to someone new. Our current obsession (we go through phases) is Say Hi (formerly know as Say Hi To Your Mom). Ever heard of them?

Unknown said...

He's kinda growing on me too I have to say. BTW love the new look!

GINGERSPICE said...

LOL.... You have such a way with words. Oh the good old days in Jersey with your nutty boss! Such memories Jules.... I can still picture the day we arrived back from Boston and your decision in leaving that crazy lady! So glad you did, otherwise you may have become like her... Overly sexualized?? Haha what a nut job!
So do you have any news :)??? I'd love to hear from ya when you get a sec! We still need to have a slumber party sometime.
I Love You Girl!

Lamb said...

You can't go wrong with John, though his concert was a little disappointing... where was "Why Georgia?" Anyway, it was great seeing you and meeting your sis! I miss you and we need to get together before craziness happens...