Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars...

It's 2 am. I'm wide awake. I just can't turn my brain off. Which is bad, cause when it gets late like this I start to get ideas. Things like....writing a book perhaps? Could be fun. But then I think....Aren't writers supposed to like the classics? You know, draw from their influence and really, really love them? I don't know that I do. I mean, maybe I like a bucketful, which is nothing really considering the bucket came from an Olympic sized pool. I really probably have no business being an English major aside from the fact that I can make papers on Shakespeare a bit more amusing than they ought to be...which I kind of think, given his sense of humor, Shakespeare might actually appreciate, but my teachers don't...so maybe, one of them says, I'm in the wrong area of study. But this bugs me because he is just a triple Phd, yoga loving, hippie, with a receding hairline. I mean, really...what does he know, anyway?

Am I having an identity crisis?

No. I am having an academic crisis. I blame Shakespeare.

6 comments:

kim and ned said...

I hate it when people don't have an open mind. Life and reading would be pretty darn boring if everyone wrote like Shakespeare or Jane Austen or Bronte. You catch my meaning. WE NEED VARIETY! There is a place for you, Julie. Especially in the world of "English majors". You may not write in the classic style, but you write well. Not everyone can read classics. We need people like you to make things interesting. Keep up the good work. You are amazing. Don't let that professor get you down.

Taunya said...

I bet you could probably write a book...

I mean if you like a bucket-full of the classics (regardless of what size pool the bucket came from) I'm sure that's more than what most of us like.

I've always wanted to write a book, of course I'm thinking more like a children's book.

Can't say I appreciate the classics like I probably should, but then maybe if I read them... :)

Cristi said...

Julie, you never let me down with your posts. I'm still wondering when your first book will come out :) Love and miss you!

kate said...

how many times do i have to tell you...your teachers are just hateful cause they will never be half as talented or insightful as you. duh.

GINGERSPICE said...

You..... Crack..... Me..... Up! Simply said. Who cares if he has a triple PHD... Talent does not even compare. You could totally write a book and I want the first signed copy. Okay, so maybe Your hubby gets the 1st and your Mother the 2nd... Can I at least have the 3rd?? Have you considered writing music??

Cristi said...

I just love you! The end.