Monday, February 23, 2009

If I May..

*This is quite long, its more for my own personal venting than anything else...feel free to ignore.


Being pregnant, I am experiencing a certain kind of negativity that I also experienced right before I got married. It bothered me then, and it bothers me now. The negativity has nothing to do with me or my attitude. It's more what other people have to say to me, knowing my circumstances or not, saying things in general or otherwise, and I'm irritated to the point that I need to vent.

Shortly after Brandon and I got engaged, I began hearing the most awful stories about marriage, how you lose your identity, your freedom, and how all you do is fight. All this came to me completely unsolicited, mostly from people who didn't know me or know that I was getting married. For the most part, people who knew me weren't saying anything at all. Most married couples I know, are happy and have good relationships. But I still never heard anything good. Ever.

But on occasion, the negativity would come from someone I cared a lot about. One of them even once told me, "If I had known then what I know now about marriage, I never would have done it." It scared me to hear things like that. I was terrified. Over and over again, people would tell me how hard marriage is, "It's soooo hard. Marriage is SO HARD." I began feeling completely inadequate, that marriage wasn't something I was qualified to do.

But then my dear sweet friend, Candis, told me, "Julie, you have been done things way harder than marriage. Marriage will be a piece of cake compared to what you have been through." This coming from a girl who has been married for quite a while, with a small child, whose husband had served multiple times during this war. If she can do ALL of that, I can certainly handle this, Brandon's not even in the military. She was about the only person who put my mind to rest.

And she was right.

For a few months now, I have been talking to my friend, Ginger, telling her that I am experiencing the same thing, and how utterly frustrating it has been. Now that we are expecting our first child, it seems like I'm getting all that negativity all over again. "Having a baby will ruin your marriage," "Don't ever have kids," "Once you have kids, they are always there...take your time." Ugh. The list goes on and on.

I don't want to discredit any parent out there. I know that being a parent is the most difficult thing, that it is heartbreakingly hard, and that you do sacrifice so much of yourself once you have a baby. I get that, and I respect that. I wouldn't ever take that away from them. I'm fully anticipating my life to change completely. I just feel so sad when people have nothing positive to say about having children. It can be so disheartening. Especially, since getting pregnant was something we were told may or may not be likely to happen. That fact changes your attitude so quickly.

I will say that at least this time around, there has been a small group of new mothers tell me the complete opposite. They have been women, I know, some I don't, some full length conversations, others have been comments on Facebook, or quick little emails, but just knowing that there are mothers out there whose lives and marriages didn't fall apart when they had children has been comforting. And I am so grateful to them.

I have such a difficult time when people are so negative about FAMILY, when people mock marriage. My biggest pet peeve is when someone will comment on me and Brandon being affectionate or something, saying things like, "Aw, that's cute, it won't last," or "Enjoy it now. They're only like that in your first marriage."

This. Really. Bugs. Me.

From the time I was 16, I didn't have a whole lot of family stability. The circumstances were beyond any one's control, but unstable still. To joke about divorce is not ok. At all. I know a lot of people from a lot of walks of life, married, single, very religious, not religious at all, rich and poor... who joke about it or make comments like this to married couples and it irritates me to no end. I've been witness and victim to more than my fair share of divorce. To joke about a relationship that means eternity to me is disrespectful. I decided a long time ago, that I am only getting married once, and I believe that.

Yes, marriage can be hard, messy, and complicated. Every marriage is. But its not hard in the ways I thought it would be, and somehow we've figured out how to make ours work and work well. People are lying if they say that being married and having a family is bliss 24/7. I'm not naive enough to think that. Are we perfect? No. Do we have our bad days? Absolutely. Does the good outweigh the bad? Always. Are we committed to making things work? No question. We grow from the complicated. We learn from the messy.

I remember a sister missionary telling me, "Satan will try to destroy the family, even before two people BECOME a family." This struck me as so true, and I have remembered it every day since. I have to remember what I am here for, what Brandon and I are here to do together. I need to remember to have faith in all this, to trust that the Lord knows what he is doing with my life, and to wash my hands of all the negativity I hear daily about the good choices we are making as a family.

10 comments:

Ginny said...

I just typed out this whole long comment and it got deleted. but it went something like, i really liked this post and agree people are so negative about family, marriages, etc. I am so excited for you guys to be having a baby! We're only a couple of weeks apart. I hope you havent been soo sick!

Cristi said...

Julie, first of all, AMEN! Secondly, I for one, think that marriage is the most AMAZING and incredible BLESSING EVER!!! And it's made me happier than I could have ever DREAMED!!! I also got frustrated about this very topic last year when I blogged about how much I love Jeff and how thankful I am for him - on our ANNIVERSARY! - and got some negative feedback about that and how I "shouldn't do that because most people's marriages are bad, yaddi yaddi yah." Well, I'm here to say that we're coming up on 5 years now and it (honestly and not to sound cheesy at ALL) LITERALLY gets better and more FUN every day! Every. Single. Day. Truly! So you treasure that, girl. And you shout it from the rooftops! It's a huge blessing and it's a wonderful thing!! And those who tell you anything to the contrary are most likely just envious and unhappy people.

Now ... as for the baby ... I couldn't be more positively THRILLED for you! Heaven knows how much we want a child and I don't have ANY hesitations about wanting to bring children into our marriage. And you shouldn't either.

And lastly, Satan is real. And he will do anything in his power to try and destroy marriage and the family. And ... when something amazing and wonderful is about to happen, the opposition will come. And it can come so very powerfully that sometimes it feels we can't overcome it. But we can. And the Lord's power is always greater than Satan's.

I love you and if you EVER need to vent, PLEASE talk to me. Because this is one topic that I TRULY can relate to.

YAY for you guys - YAY for happy marriages and YAY for babies and families!

Love you!!

Cristi

Anonymous said...

Yes, being married and having children is hard work but anything worth having in life is hard work. Being a parent is the most incredible feeling in the world!!! Even on the most difficult days when my girls whine and cry all day and I'm at the end of my rope, they will smile at me and melt my heart. Jordyn will blow kisses and give hugs and all the hard work and dedication is SO worth it.

I'm excited for you guys, you seem like such a good couple and I'm sure you will be great parents!

Julie said...

I'm SO glad you guys feel this way. I am so frustrated with this whole situation, and it has just been building up.

Haley said...

Ju, you have a great thing going. No one is entitled to tell you how things will be for you guys, and what you should or shouldn't do. Just because that was THEIR experience, it was JUST THEIR EXPERIENCE. You and B will be great parents, having kids may CHANGE your marriage but that doesn't mean in a bad way. You have so many great things ahead of you, I am thrilled. I can't wait! You and B are perfect together and you will be successful as parents as you have been in marriage. I mean it when I say this, I hope one day I get to experience the kind of happiness you and B have, with someone who will love me the way B loves you. You guys are great and have nothing to worry about, just let what others say roll off your back. SDLY Jules!!!

Unknown said...

Julie, I am rushing for time, but had to respond to this.

Marriage - I was married the first time for 13 yrs to a wonderful man. It just didn't work out for us, but not for a minute have I ever regretted it and I still care very much for him. I then remarried just over 3 years ago and am blissfully happy the second time around, after being happy for many years the first time around too. So I am all in favour of marriage, it takes love, a leap of faith and alot of hardwork - bit it's totally worth it.

Children - I never had any out of free choice, I just never felt maternal and have never regretted it. But as you know I am a Grade School Secretary and am surrounded by them all day everyday. They are true blessings and warm my heart daily, I find myself caring for them all and wanting the best for them. So if you want children as a couple, then you will fully reap the rewards of a family, I have no doubt.

Bless you my friend.

Jodi said...

I totally agree with this post. It's hard but it's worth it. Always! By the way, I'm starting to get baby-hungry. :) We always wondered when that would start up, remember?

The Beals said...

Hey! That bugs me that you are getting that many people saying these negative things! There is NOTHING that I cherish more than being a wife and a mother! Being a mom is the most rewarding thing ever! It is NOT always easy.. but it is sooo worth every second of it! People who think opposite.... maybe they don't deserve to have kids! It is a wonderful blessing! You will be amazed.. when you hold that little angel in your arms.. that there is all the sudden this LOVE that comes out of nowhere.. and it is stronger than anything you will ever have felt! ITs amazing! Kids do change your life.. just like marriage changes your life! But I think and KNOW that it only changes it for the better! Hang in there girl! You are the best wife.. and will make THE MOST AMAZING mom! You have it in your blood!!!!

bd said...

Girl, the people who make those negative comments are the ones who wish that they still had the affection that you have, so take it as a compliment! Turn the negative to positive. Don't let outside negativity influence the happiness that's inside you.

Liz said...

Congratulations on a new baby! I am so happy for you! Also Marriage and children are great! I wouldn't trade either for the world. Thanks for bringing this to our attention! It will make me try to be more positive every day.
We love you
Scott and LIz (blake)Memmott