Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Husband's Names

My Granny K always says, "You aren't really loved unless you have a nickname." I have about a hundred, which must mean I'm loved. A lot. I was tickled and amused as Brandon and I were dating, to learn that had about twice as many nick-names as I did. I took this as a good sign.

I have since added several of my own nicknames to his ever growing list and he has added to mine, which I won't share as to keep the gag inducing cutesy stuff at bay. But these two are my favorites:

Bubbs/Bubba: Bubbs to his siblings, Bubba to the nieces and nephews. My first interaction with my future nieces and nephews was on my first trip to Washington. He wanted to introduce me to his siblings and we went to his sister Taunya's house. Within seconds of her cracking open the door, her kiddos came barreling down the stairs screaming, "Uncle Bubba's here! Uncle Bubba's here!" He then proceeded to plop down on the ground where they crawled all over him, wrestled him, and exhausted themselves to the point of breathlessness. A repeat performance of this at his brother Dustin and SIL Andrea's house had me completely hooked and my heart strings all a titter.


Brother Husband: I have sisters. Really good ones. And, well, we are sort of a package deal. We are protective of one another, that's never changed. Just ask Mr. Erickson, Haley's old math teacher who got a colorful earful from Katie when he made Haley cry. It's just the way we are. I was understandably nervous to introduce them to Brandon, because if they didn't like him, well....sucks to be him. Thank goodness they adore him. I mean, really, how could they not? He has become the big brother they never had, and he loves them they way a big brother would. The name Brother Husband suits him and it makes this sister so very happy.


Oh how I love my multi-named husband.

4 comments:

GINGERSPICE said...

I love your way with words. I'd like to call him Prince what'shisbucket.... not Harry... the other....

I miss you.

M. Owen said...

I too love brother-husband, my other son!!!

Tiffany said...

How cute is that!!!! Nicknames are too cute sometimes!!

Cristi said...

Dang! I thought this post was going to talk about BABY names! :) But ... nicknames are a fun topic too. Just not AS fun! Ha ha! Love you!