Saturday, March 13, 2010

RSV Face


My baby has RSV.


This week's been a killer for Liv.


It started out with just some general fussiness and Livi just being a grump. I spied her first tooth had broke through a few days ago and figured that was the culprit.


Then the cough started. And it just didn't stop.


Then a fever. Then weird breathing.


I didn't like it. Something bothered me about this and I couldn't let it go. So night I decided to take her Urgent Care, if for no other reason than to calm my troubled mind. I needed to know she was ok even though a part of me knew she wasn't totally.



"It's just part of teething."

"It's nothing, she is fine."

"You really think she is sick enough to take to the doctor?"



People remarked, thinking I was overreacting. But I took her anyway.


I called my sweet friend Nichelle to meet me at the clinic as Brandon was still at work and I didn't want to go alone. Within 20 minutes of being there, I had my answer. This mother's intuition thing is pretty fierce.


RSV Positive.


The doctor urgently and firmly instructed me as to what needed to happen next, who I needed to call, and what I needed to watch for, continually asking me for reassurance that I would be following through on all said instructions as quickly as possible. Within an hour and a half, Nichelle and I had her prescriptions, a blessing was given, fellow mommies of babies called (Poor Sydney has RSV, too) , a nebulizer in our possession, and her first breathing treatment.



We hadn't been home long before I noticed Olivia's breathing was contracting deeply into her ribs. Nichelle and I looked at each and immediately knew we were taking her to the ER.









Thankfully, she was seen quickly. She was given a concentrated breathing treatment, monitored for awhile and sent home.



It has been exhausting, sleeping in shifts, constantly holding and comforting my sweet little one, attempting to get her to eat, doing laundry, trying to get a meal in (Thank you, Britney!), keeping track of all the meds, and trying to retain one iota of sanity. Nichelle is a saint. She has been amazing while Brandon has been gone working. Between the two of us "we make on fully functioning adult," as she puts it. Oh, Nichelle...I'm so grateful for her right now.






Now, among the masses of blankets on the floor, treatments and medications given every four hours, snuggles, and tears we are savoring a quiet moment while Olivia sleeps somewhat comfortably



Keep Olivia in your prayers. We need her little body to be strong and to have her back to her happy sweet self.

3 comments:

Nichelle said...

I just luff you my dear. I'm happy to help, it's what sister friends do for each other! What a memorable, bonding filled weekend we are in the middle of!

Natalie said...

So sad, and scary to have your little one so sick...we'll keep all of you in our prayers, and hope for a quick recovery! Hang in there...

Ginny said...

oh poor little liv girl!!! and momma!!! sick babies are no fun...and it just breaks your heart! i hope she gets better real soon and we will be thinking of you guys!!!