Monday, March 23, 2009

Oh, Mary.

Every morning at work, Mary pops her head into my office and says, "Hi, Momsy!" Her greeting is often accompanied by some sort of delicious treat, homemade salsa or guacamole, a piece of fruit, chocolate truffles from the chocolate factory here, or a piece of chocolate pecan pie...this only quickly escalating her status as one of my favorites here.

I just adore her.

Mary is a retired vet nurse. Yes, she served in the war, and is an Americorp volunteer. She spends roughly 35 hours a week volunteering for various places and programs, while taking care of her Alzheimer addled husband, is a devout Catholic, and is a gourmet baker/cook/chef. No kidding. Her pies win somewhere around $5,000 a year.

She has gumption. The really good kind. She is just about the sweetest person I have ever met but is able to command the respect of 24 adolescent criminals, whom she refers to as "The little darlin's."

Whenever I'm sick or my allergies are kicking into high gear or I'm really missing Brandon, she tells me she'll light another candle for me. I don't have any idea of the significance of lighting a candle, but her gesture touches me so much, it nearly makes me cry. And if the problems don't seem to subside, she sighs and shakes her head and says, "Well, looks like I'm going to have to expand my candle budget this month."

Really, her faith is inspiring. Her attitude is something to be studied. Her food, quite drool worthy. Her kindness and compassion, touching. Her sense of humor, completely endearing. I aspire to attain her tenderness.

We need more Mary's in the world.

3 comments:

Lamb said...

She sounds amazing! It is always a friendly reminder that God is watching over us when He puts great people in our paths or He puts us in theirs:) PS I haven't forgotten your Krispie Creams, though I did hand in your address on the back of a homework assignment... You may need to send that to me when you get a chance! Later dude!

M. Owen said...

Everyone should have a "Mary" in their life, and I for one am glad that my little darlin', momsy has one! Thank you Mary!!!

Unknown said...

SOme people are just blessing sent directly from heaven and she sounds just like one.